the Cathedral of Sacred Blagovernogo of Prince Alexander Nevskogo
On a boundary of the XIX-XX-th centuries Yalta was original «summer resort capital», and founders of the Yalta cathedral of Alexander Nevskogo solemnly consecrated on December, 1st, 1902, fairly considered that the new temple should become a city ornament, testifying to future generations to fidelity of citizens to the great beginnings with which there live Russian people. Means for building collected all world.
Cathedral Erection is connected with tragical destruction of Russian emperor Alexander — the Liberator. At the emperor Peacemaker Alexander III across all Russia cathedrals in honour of St. prince Alexander Nevskogo who was the heavenly patron of the lost emperor were under construction.
The temple Project was confirmed personally by Alexander III. Combining with Russian shape purely Russian soul and heart, deeply religious person, a sovereign has chosen the project of architect P.K.Terebeneva known in Crimea. Square in the plan, in two circles, with five domes of different size, with a three-storied belltower in one volume with a temple, with open external galleries, solidly thorough in the bottom part and easily directed up in top, with an abundance of characteristic Russian uzorochja from small architectural forms-portals, piljastrov, decoratively issued krylets, hearts, kiottsev — such the future temple surprisingly reminding the best Moscow temples of a XVII-th century has appeared in this project.
The building site Lay-out under a temple and the general management of a construction was gratuitously taken up by the known military engineer, the builder of the Yalta pier, scientist A.L.Berte-Delagard. Supervision of cathedral erection has been charged architect N. To P.Krasnov. The cathedral was under construction in two floors and incorporates two churches: the bottom church for the sake of St. Great martyr Artemija capacity 600–700 people, and top, main, for the sake of Grand duke Alexander Nevskogo capacity 1000–1200 people On the southeast party of a temple in granite kiote with a bulb places a mosaic image of St. Alexander Nevskogo of work of Venetian artist Antonio Salviati. In the second circle on each side the central belltower are placed an image St. Feodosiya and Antonija. Over a front entrance a triangular pediment in which plane Jesus Christ is represented. In a temple in two kiotah images are established by Blagovernogo of prince Alexander Nevskogo and prelate Nikolay. Kioty are executed in a copy as they are represented in archival documentary photographs.
On consecration in December, 1902, at huge gathering of people emperor Nikolay II together with the retinue took part.
In post-war years, repeatedly on the big church holidays the prelate of Onions (V.F.Vojno-Jasenetsky) served in a cathedral, and the prior, from the beginning of 50th years, there was an associate appointed it and the friend, mitrofornyj archpriest Michael Semenjuk. The divine service renewed during the Great Patriotic War, did not interrupt since then. A cathedral — not only one of the most beautiful in Crimea of temples. It and the monument of a Russian history connected with names of three last Russian emperors by which Russia is obliged not only one external power and expansion of borders. The eminence of orthodox belief, national education, a state and society accomplishment were their cares.
In 2002 100 years from the date of cathedral Alexander Nevskogo's consecration are executed. To this significant date on blessing of the metropolitan of Simferopol and Crimean Lazarja, with the assistance of the city mayoralty, and Marchenko V. I's Personally Yalta mayor, its assistant Kropina N. N, heads of all health resorts and the enterprises of the Big Yalta, businessmen and simple people, works on gilding of domes of a temple, list and iconostasis restoration are spent.
Now in a cathedral divine services are daily made. At a temple since 1995 the comprehensive school in which are trained about 100 children operates.
The Address: Yalta, street Garden, 2, ph. 32-16-16.
Journey: by trolley bus № 1 to a stop «street Sea».
In addition on the given theme:
Krestovozdvizhensky Church (Livadija)
the Temple of Archangel Michael (Alupka)
Hram Pokrova Presvjatoj Bogoroditsy (the Bottom Oreanda)
the Temple of St. Blg. Prince Alexander Nevskogo at sanatorium St. Onions (Alupka)
the Temple of the St. Great martyr and Healer Panteleimona
Sacred John Zlatousta's Temple
Church of Revival Christ's (the item of Foros)
Preobrazhenija Gospodnja Church
Church of Sacred Great martyr Feodor Tirona
Sacred Nikolay Chudotvortsa's Church (the item of Massandra)